Sunday, January 27, 2013
I will be starting the build of new speakers for the theater. Some of the drivers will be from older projects. The main speakers will upgrade to a 3-way setup, the center channel will be a 2 1/2-way and the surrounds will be a 2-way. The sub-woofer may or may not change.
The brands of drivers will include Vifa, Dayton Audio and Peerless. The mains will incorporate the Peerless 8", Vifa 5" and Dayton NEO tweeter. The center channel uses the same Vifa 5" and Dayton tweeter. The surrounds use a Dayton 6" and Vifa tweeter.
I tried to keep the cost of the DAC semi low. Dac's start at $50 and can run to over $5000. After reading tons of reviews I ended up purchasing the Emovia XDA-1. I was able to get it on sale for $199.00. The XDA-1 sounds very good, filled out the bass and has better clarity throughout the audio range. The unit can also be used as a preamp. I'm currently using it as a DAC only because I'm still using my Adcom preamp in order to still use the radio tuner.
Wednesday, November 23, 2011
I've decided to stay with my old favorite music player - Foobar 2000. I'm currently running Foobar with WASAPI drivers and have added a few other components. LastFM is one of them that enables the server to play Internet music, great plugin. I also purchased the Android App to control Foobar from my phone - this is exactly what I was looking for.
Next up I'll be looking over which DAC to go with.
Tuesday, November 8, 2011
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Finally down to the last little tweaks.
Crossover setup came out to 350hz and 2000hz with a 3rd order alignment. I did add a few DB at 36hz to extend the frequency range from an F3 of 52hz to ~40hz. Overall the sound is amazing, full and clear.
The rest of the pictures can be found here. Click
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Thursday, March 19, 2009
The base cabinets are finally done. I applied 12 coats of shellac over the boiled linseed oil, all of the coats were clear except for the last coat I applied Garrnet.
The black painted portions have a base of black paint with 2 coats of SealCoat, then 3 coats of gloss poly.
I will be finishing the mid/tweeter section soon, then I will finish up the grills.